Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I saw God today...

Today as I pulled into the Church parking lot I saw I man hobbling around the sidewalk, homeless and drunk. And then he fell onto the sidewalk. I decided as I found a parking spot I'd see if he was okay. (Now at this point some people may be thinking 'you are a 21 year old female...careful....', well I was thinking about that too, don't worry. But my theory is if I ever get robbed they're gonna be really disappointed- $3 and a 2yr old free tmobile phone won't make them much money...I'd probably be most disappointed about my coupons and chapstick...) Anyway, so I caught up with the man and asked if he was okay. He said he was but he had been drinking so he had been having a hard time. He then vowed to quit drinking all together because it doesn't get him anywhere. I agreed with him and we chatted a bit. I then noticed he wasn't wearing gloves. We continued our conversation which led to God and his faith in Jesus. He explained how he didn't understand atheists but he secretly tries to explain to them why God is so good, he asked God for forgiveness for being sneaky (I laughed). Throughout this conversation I looked him in the eye. He had such beautiful blue eyes and I decided to give him my gloves. Unfortunately they were a Christmas present my sister made me (I haven't broke the news to her that I gave away the gloves she spent hours on...eeeeekkkkkk!)


As he put on his gloves, I held his cane, needless to say I had to help him. He then assured me he'd stop drinking because alcohol does no good. He only got one glove on while I was with him because then he started falling asleep so I told him I hoped for the best for him and began walking up the steps to Mass. He then told me I was an amazing person and told me God Bless countless times. As I stepped into Church, there was Jesus in the Monstrance and it struck me, I just had a conversation with a (probably) homeless drunkard who now has my sister's mittens (they were too large for me anyway...they fit him like a glove! sorry...couldn't help that pun...). But that man is still a man, just as Jesus helped everyone, we should too. So in a small way, I helped Jesus and I realized all this as I was starring at the beautiful Monstrance hold Jesus. 


This is why I'm Catholic. I seek to see Jesus in every human being. I get to be with Jesus in the Sacrament of the Eucharist everyday if I want. But why don't I? Why don't I help more people in need? Why am I not more charitable? Why do I not always seek God with my whole heart? Or utilize the amazing Sacraments, especially the Eucharist? Lots to ponder on... but for now, I shall work on seeking God in all things.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That was so beautiful. Your bravery and courage are an amazing example.

    ReplyDelete