Sunday, March 6, 2011

Let Go, Let God

Just for a second, imagine a world in which everyone viewed everything that was given to them was from God. God has quite the plan for every single person in this world. When something happens- good or bad -what if we looked at the situation as a gift from God?

I know it's easier said than done, but why not?

Every time it rained my freshman year, I would get so annoyed. I just didn't want to get my socks wet and have that obnoxious feeling of wet sock all day. One rainy day I decided to just take off my shoes and socks to avoid this problem. It was pouring, no umbrella, so I just ran in the rain barefoot. I realized how much I had been missing as a ran through the muddy grass. I stopped, letting the mud seep in between my toes and I just thanked God for such a wonderful gift of rain. Ever since then, I walk barefoot around campus when it's raining so I will remember to embrace God's gift instead of getting frustrated.

Rain is simple. You get wet. You go home, jump in the shower and put on some clean dry clothes and it's like it never happened. But what about much larger issues?

I know I personally don't have the ability to stop the rain when it's time for me to walk to class. Larger situations are the same way, there is simply nothing we can do to fix it. If we can't fix it, why do we instead let the problem gnaw at us, making us angry and worry?
Cast all your worries upon him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7
Why not trust Him with our problems more often? What if we heard bad news and simply looked to God, asking "What now God? This is the problem, this is why I'm upset, what do You want me to do?"
Let nothing trouble you, let nothing make you afraid. All things pass away. God never changes, patience obtains everything. God alone is enough. St. Teresa of Avila
I'm not saying this is easy, nor am I saying I am able to deal with situations in this manner. Getting upset and angry are part of being human. What I am saying is perhaps this is an outlook on life we (myself included) should strive for.
The Lord himself will fight for you; you have only to keep still. Exodus 14:14

2 comments:

  1. Very good! We have talked of such things before and I like how your quotations flow with the topic at hand. A couple grammar errors though ;) Good first post Bree. Oh and just out of curiosity why did you put a quote of Ben Franklin and a quote of St. Catherine of Siena next to each other at the top of your blog? I am sure that as a doctor of the church she might have had a few problems with Ben Franklin if they lived in the same time period. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet those grammar mistakes are driving you crazy! sorry! :) Good point about the quotes-perhaps I'll try to find something St. Catherine would appreciate more :D

    ReplyDelete